Thursday 23 June 2011

Publication day!


This must be the best moment of all - going into your local bookshop and seeing your book on the shelves. It's the culmination of several years' work, including the editing process and the months waiting for the right publishing slot for the book. I wrote the first words of this novel in November 2008, and the first draft was finished by spring 2010. That gives just some idea of the timescale involved.

So the day you first see it in the shops is very special indeed. This was in my local Waterstone's in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, where manager Mike Cooper and his team are immensely supportive of any local authors, and have always done a fabulous job with my books. So cheers, Mike - and thanks again! Here he is with Rachel who helped me sign all their stock this morning. Sorry, you won't get a copy that isn't signed from here!


The other real buzz is seeing your book surrounded by other books by authors (real authors!) you admire - take a look at the company The Lantern is keeping! There's The Help by Kathryn Stockett, Isabel Allende, Jo Nesbo, Kristin Hannah...

And as I was walking down Mount Pleasant, I passed the British Bookshops store and was absolutely amazed and thrilled to see this window display (note proximity to the very wonderful Kate Atkinson)... To borrow from the phrase-making Wimbledon commentators on the BBC, what a dream of a day!


A huge, huge thank you to everyone at Orion who has brought The Lantern to this stage: Kate Mills, Susan Lamb, Malcolm Edwards, Jon Wood, Lisa Milton, Juliet Ewers, Sophie Mitchell, Jade Chandler, Louisa Gibbs, Andrew Taylor, Gaby Young, Anthony Keates, Jo Carpenter, Hannah Lewis and Lucie Stericker. And to my superb literary agent in London, Araminta Whitley, who found this book such a fantastic home.

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cover is just so lovely! I know, I know...a book is more than that. Still, if I was on the fence on whether or not to buy it, the cover would push me over into the Yes category.

Evie said...

I totally agree with Jennifer, the cover looks gorgeous and I can't wait to get my own copy of your book! I will hunt it down in my local bookstore next time :)

I can only imagine how rewarding it must feel to see your book in a bookstore! Congrats, I'm happy for you!

llevinso said...

Oh wow oh wow! I cannot imagine the excitement of seeing your book for sale in an actual bookstore! You must be beaming Deborah :) I'm going to Tweet this too so that everyone can see that your book is for sale. Congrats again!

K said...

I would be so excited to see any of my work in a bookshop window and even MORE excited if it were any where NEAR a Kate Atkinson book!

Congratulations and I will be watching 'The TV Book Club' this Sunday, to hear the panel's opinions.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! The book is gorgeous, I absolutely love the cover.

Anonymous said...

Et voilà...
C'est la gloire!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Such an exciting day and in such good company.

Beverly Diehl said...

Congratulations, Deborah! May this day only be the best so far.

Valerie Nieman said...

Felicitations, my friend!

Amy Kidd said...

This is so exciting for you! It looks amazing and bright on that table! I definitely would pick it up!
What a wonderful day for you! I hope the sales speed and it is a best-seller by the time it comes here in August!
Congratulations!

Kelly Hashway said...

Deborah, this is so exciting. I'm so happy for you!

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Congratulations, Deborah! I'm so excited for you; you must be over the moon. I raise a virtual glass of wine to you in anticipation of the many, many sales that are sure to come your way.

Cheers!

Maureen said...

Congratulations! Wishing you super sales.

Tracey said...

Congratulations! Savor the moment!

Short Story Slore said...

Congrats! I can't wait to read this :)

Brenda said...

Giving me chills... This is beyond exciting. You must be floating above the ground... :-) Cheering for for you fro San Francisco..

Sage said...

congratulations xx

Unknown said...

Congratulations - happy publication day!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

How exciting. Congratulations. I know they will fly out of the stores.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Deborah. It must be a wonderful feeling to see your book on the shelves after all those months of nail chewing. I've raised a glass to you today and I'm just waiting for my copy to arrive.

PS I was brought up in Kent, just north of Sevenoaks.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Deborah. It must be a wonderful feeling to see your book on the shelves after all those months of nail chewing. I've raised a glass to you today and I'm just waiting for my copy to arrive.

PS I was brought up in Kent, just north of Sevenoaks.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Did you crack open a bottle of champagne for the occasion? :)

Deb said...

Yes, congratulations! Hope you are celebrating well!

My Sinfonia said...

much congratulations and best wishes!

Julia Munroe Martin said...

HUGE congratulations!!! I can't imagine the incredible feeling of giddiness :)

Carol said...

Congratulations!

How lovely it must be to finally see it on the bookshelves in the bookshops.

carol

Samantha Sotto said...

Congratulations!!!!!!! Savor every bit of this very special moment :)

Anonymous said...

Cheers to you - what a very special moment in time!

Belle

Elizabeth Young said...

You had a glorious 'lavender day' Deborah! We all rejoice with you are are thrilled at your success.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Adiante said...

A quand une traduction française Deborah ?

Deborah Lawrenson said...

Adiante - malheureusement, pas de traduction francaise prevue a present...

Thank you, thank you (et un grand merci) to all of you for your staunch support. You are the best, the very best!

Thanks for your loyalty too, at a time when I haven't been able to get round many of your blogs which I enjoy reading so much. I do visit, even if I don't manage to comment.

Muriel said...

Fantastic news! I am going to my bookshop asap to buy it.

Pétales de fée said...

Congratulations on your novel! When I published my first children's book, I was amazed like you to see this "object" become real. It is an intense emotion. I wish you every success!
See you soon Deborah !

Unknown said...

Love your blog. I left you a Stylish Blogger Award on my blog. Come by and pick it up. Take care! :)

http://www.vanessakeccles.blogspot.com/

James Kiester said...

Congrats my friend!

ruth said...

what a fantastic day deborah!!! congratulations! I can feel the shivers of excitement!See you very soon in Provence.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful and so inspiring!! Savor the moment.

Tameka said...

Congratulations Deborah! I can only imagine the joy you must be feeling to have your baby introduced to the world. That was so sweet what you said about "the real writers." Well guess what? You are one too! So glad to know you and I look forward to reading the book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...