Monday 18 July 2016

A sense of place


I never set out to write novels that were particularly known for their sense of place. I set out to write stories that rang true and that transported the reader into another place and time, drawn into authentic surroundings, experiencing what my characters were seeing and hearing, smelling and tasting.
 
As Simone de Beauvoir tells us in her autobiographical Force of Circumstance: “I do not mention the colour of the sky, the taste of a fruit, out of self-indulgence (…). Not only do [these details] allow us to apprehend a period and a person in flesh and blood, but by their non-significance they are the very touch of truth in a true story.”
 
This is the start of a guest post I wrote for Karen at My Reading Corner. If you'd like to read the rest, please hop over to her blog on this link. The photo above is of one of the lovely, yet abandoned buildings facing the marina in Faro in Portugal, setting for 300 Days of Sun.
 

2 comments:

Marcheline said...

I hopped - and glad I did! 8-)

Marcheline said...

Hey! I just found 300 Days of Sun on Amazon and NOW IT'S MINE, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHH! Getting my air chair and cocktails ready....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...