Monday 20 October 2014

A place to read


My UK publishers Orion have a new set of places where authors can interact with readers and give a few personal insights at One Book Lane on Facebook and Twitter. One theme that particularly appeals to me is their Dream Reading Rooms board on Pinterest. After all, writers have to be readers too.

As loyal readers of this blog will know by now, I'm not a great one for splashing photos of myself over social media, but I have posted pictures of my summer reading places in Provence, under the fig tree in the courtyard, and this hammock under a fig and an oak tree:

 
But the top picture shows where you'll find me, shoes off and feet up, with a cup of tea and a book at our house in Kent. Note the serious number of cushions! 
 
 
This sofa is next to French windows that open onto a little terrace, so fresh air - another vital component of happy reading - can circulate if required. And the yellow walls of the room make it look sunny even in the depths of a grey English winter. The big painting, full of vibrant colour is by British artist William Selby, originally bought for the house in France, but we liked it so much where it is that it has stayed there.
 
Where is your favourite place to read?

6 comments:

Gill Edwards said...

what a beautiful room, id be afraid to sit on that sofa being white and so classy looking. I can see why its your favourite place though. I can almost feel the warmth of the sun when i look at your hammock pic.
Gill x

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Looks very comfy. Gorgeous pillows. Both lovely places to dive into a good book.

stadtgarten said...

What beautiful places to read and to relax!

Harvee said...

Problem is, I don't have one serious spot. I try to read everywhere and it can get a bit jumbled :)

I like all your reading places, the couch and especially the hammock under the fig tree.

Deborah Lawrenson said...

Psst, Gill - very un-glam washable covers! Many's the teenager we've had dossing on it, too.

Marcheline said...

I got an "air chair" on ebay, and hung it between a pine tree and a cedar in my back yard - swinging in my air chair with a cocktail in a travel mug (the handle hooks over the side for easy access) is my favorite place to read! So long as the mosquitoes are dormant... it's been a long time since I've been able to sit out there without getting eaten alive... looking forward to the chilly weather!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...