Sunday 26 January 2014

Golden door

 
For all sorts of reasons, this wonderful photograph by Evelyn Jackson of an old French door encapsulates the past week for me. The weathered yellow paint wants to give a sunny impression, but it has seen better days. The interesting locks are so rusted you wonder whether they will actually work, even if you could actually find a key. And, of course, the door is resolutely closed; whatever is behind it, we will never know...
 
I've been struggling, not being able to see properly. Without being able to wear my contact lenses, I haven't been able to work, which is infuriating. My glasses just don't correct my short-sightedness well enough to be able to look at a screen - or even a book - for longer than about ten minutes. The next novel is going to have to wait, at least for another week until I get the all-clear to start using my contacts again.
 
In the meantime, let me direct those of you who love pictures of the French countryside over to Evelyn's blog, Melanged Magic. She's Californian-born, now supplanted to La France Profonde, and she has a wonderful eye for detail.

7 comments:

Evelyn said...

Thanks for the link, Deborah! Wishing you a speedy recovery...can't imagine not being able to read or see the computer. Wish the new book was already on my bookshelf. With all the rainy, dreary weather here, a breath of Provence and the sea would be such a spirit-lifter.

Virginia said...

I found you today through Evelyn who has been a blog friend and fellow francophile for years.

Looking forward to more visits here and wishing you a speedy return to those contacts!

Bon dimanche,
V

Gill Edwards said...

Ooh i really want to unlock that door now, you are a tease.
Not good about the lack of sight, hope your eyes are sorted soon.
Gill x

Harvee said...

That door has an interesting tale to tell!

Muriel said...

Get better Deborah! I sometimes wonder what all the old doors, houses and windows would tell us if they could speak. I am sure that this door would have a lot to say!

Libby said...

Oh Deborah, how awful. I wear one lens (it's bifocal with concentric circles!) and can't imagine being without it. And to have your eye hurt that way must have been terrible. Hope by now you are better? And I love Evelyn's blog: thanks for the link!

Marcheline said...

As a fellow eyeglass/contacts wearer, I can relate to how awful it is to have to go without! Here's hoping that resolves soon, so you're back to yourself again.

I adore the golden door!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...