The study of beauty is a duel in which the artist cries with terror before being defeated. Charles Baudelaire
If there is one thing left that I would like to do, it's to write something really beautiful. And I could do it, you know. I could still do it.
J B Priestley
These two great writers say it better than I could: we all strive in our way for beauty, in all its senses. So I was very touched when I found a Beautiful Blogger award from Fiona J Phillips at Fi’s Magical Writing Haven waiting for me in the in-box this morning (just as I was wondering what to do for a blog post today). It’s been a long while since I’ve joined in the blog awards scene, but this time I thought, why not?
Award acceptance involves divulging seven obscure facts about yourself, so here are a few things you might not know about me:
- I really do believe that anything is possible if you work hard enough and want it enough – but you have to be willing to accept advice and redouble your efforts.
- Sadly this no longer seems to apply to the weight-loss diets I attempt.
- I shall wear purple (in allusion to Jenny Joseph’s famous poem Warning) to the school reunion I’m going to tomorrow night with my two stalwart girlfriends from that era of Santana and Saturday Night Fever.
- I’m worried I may look like a bordello curtain.
- I’ve just laughed till I cried with one of the friends imagining all the (un)likely outcomes.
- One of my old boyfriends is going to be there.
- It’s fine: we’ve been great friends all these years too, ever since we were in a school production of Miller’s Death of a Salesman and I played a girl he picked up in a bar.
According to the rules, I now have to nominate seven blogs, which is a chance to tip my hat to a cross-section of blogs I always enjoy reading and which embody – in their very different ways - a special beauty.
I hereby pass on the Beautiful Blogger award to the following seven blogs: